TO SEE < FLAMETHROWER IN THE MUSEUM
With Claudie LLEWELLYN-LEJEUNE and Eric DELPORTE, owner, our museum exhibits since July, parts of British flamethrower found near the village of Mametz during an archeological dig by Peter BARTON in may 2010.
Four were deployed in 1916 in the Battle of the Somme. Two of the weapons at the Somme were destroyed by German shelling before they could be used, but the other two were used at the start of the offensive.
The weapons were 56 feet (17m) long, weighed 2.5 long tons (2.5t).
During this dig many objects were found from the daily life from soldiers in the trenches. All these objects are displayed in our Museum.